Thursday, March 5, 2009

Low GI Diets Reafirmed!

I love it when I am right.

Sure, that may sound cocky, but in this case I feel I am.

As I stated in my opening blog, over the years I have managed to lose over 50 lbs by following the ways of the G.I. Diet principals. And those principals have just been given the Thumbs up by Fitness Magazine.

In her article, entitled The Slow-Carb Diet, Anna Roufos discusses the merited of following a low GI diet and how it can help you lose and maintain your weight.

In the simplest of terms, a low-glycemic diet is generally high in good carbohydrates (like vegetables and whole grains) and low in bad ones (like chocolate chip cookies). Lean proteins and healthy fats round out the rest
Now, while I don't follow the South Beach Diet, I do adhere to my Bible - The G.I Diet, by Rick Gallop, Past President of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario

While there are many similarities between the approach taken in the South Beach diet and the GI Diet. There are a couple of significant variations.

FIRST: The South Beach diet starts with a "crash" diet. The GI Diet does not require or recommend a crash diet.

SECOND: The GI Diet is simpler and easier to use through its unique traffic light colour coding of foods. All the calculations have been done for you. Simply follow the colour coding:

RED FOODS WILL MAKE YOU FAT
YELLOW FOODS WILL HELP YOU MAINTAIN YOUR WEIGHT
GREEN FOODS WILL HELP YOU LOOSE WEIGHT


When its that simple, how can you not stick to it?

No comments: