Thursday, March 11, 2010

Detox Update

Its been a week since I started my first ever cleanse/detox, whatever and I have to admit I am feeling pretty darn good.

The first few days I was met with "flu like symptoms" such as a bit of a stuffy head, a tad groggy and a little throat irritation, all of which are apparently very normal for the first time detoxer.

They passed within a few days and since then I have been feeling great.

I also seem to be sleeping better and have far more energy than before.

Oddly enough, with the sleeping thing, I seem to actually be needing less sleep then before and am no longer waking up feeling tired and groggy. Last night for example, I went to bed at 10:30pm as per usual, read for a bit and then attempted to drift off to lala land. But I couldn't fall asleep. I wasn't fidgety, or over tired. I wasn't uncomfortable or achy. I just wasn't tired.

So I laid there until 1:00am trying to fall asleep, dreading the alarm going off in just 6 hrs. However, when 6:35am arrived and P got up and hit the showers I woke up and was STUNNED to realize I felt fine. Sure, I didn't have to get up for another hour, but I was very aware of the feeling of rest that I had with only 5 hrs sleep behind me. I dozed off again and got up an hour later when my alarm sounded. Again, the feeling of restfulness was unexpected but warmly welcomed.

And this has been the case for a few days now, starting on Sunday.

An odd but not at all bad effect of cleansing the body.

Another fantastic side effect has been some very unexpected weight loss. Not loads, just 5 lbs, but to have dropped that in a week is unreal.

I have not changed my diet other than to remove sugar and have added in a ton of water (1.5 liters a day or more) and exercise wise I am still at the gym 3 times a week. I've switched up my routine a bit and have started to do 20 minutes of running, followed by about 30 minutes of weights (chest and shoulder presses, curl squats, triceps curls and leg presses).

The loss is most noticeable in my gym pants (which are starting to fall down as I run!) and my work pants (the butt is getting baggy and I'm back to my original belt loop!)

So clearly something is working and I am loving it.

I wonder what kind of results I will see after moving to Level II of the program next week ...

No comments: