Thursday, March 4, 2010

Run, Run, Run .... and Detox

This week has seen the start of a few new developments in the land of Moi.

One of them was planned; the other has been more surprising.

The planned event was the start of my first ever detox/cleanse. Oh what a sterotypical Vancouverite I have become.

So far it’s been pretty chill. Nothing more exciting than 45 drops of Chelidonium Plex which is: a “combination of specific homeopathics synergistically formulated to promote hepatic, renal, lymphatic and intestinal detoxification and drainage. Liver function can be impaired by stress, environmental pollutants, narcotic and alcohol abuse, and chemotherapy treatment, leading to hormonal imbalances, headaches and immune suppression. Clinical studies show detoxification to be effective in helping individuals who suffer from allergies, arthritis, headaches, fatigue as well as environmental and chemical sensitivities. Chelidonium Plex is indicated for all conditions that associated with liver dysfunction, including fatty degeneration, high cholesterol, and constipation; for heavy metal toxicity and skin disorders; and for all conditions that require detoxification and lymphatic drainage such as from the overindulgence of food and alcohol” in 1.5 litres of water each day for 14 days to ‘open the doors of my detoxification organs: liver, digestive track, skin and kidneys” in prep for my bigger, more involved cleansing - that party starts on the 18th.

I am going about this cleanse with the help and direction of my naturopath after inquiring about doing the Wild Rose Detox that a few of my friends are doing right now. His suggestion was to avoid the health store cleanse kits, and rather start off a little gentler since this would be my first cleanse, working my way up to the big guns.

But nothing to note happening yet, just peeing a lot.

The second development has been the more suprising one. And it has been that of a new relationship. Well, more like the return of an old relationship, one that I actually broke off a few years ago and thought that I would never return to.

But something happened over the last few weeks and it seems that I've had a change of heart.

But may not be what you think.

I have rekindled my relationship with running.

Over the last month or so I have had a very strong desire to run. I can't really pin point why, but its been almost overwhelming.

Could it be that in 2 months I will again be participating the annual Vancouver Sun Run?

Oh right, that!

Yup, again I will be running 10 km though the beautiful Van City with a gazillion strangers, all just for fun. Ok, not a gazillion, but a good 60,000 people take part in the run.

So here I find myself, back in the saddle and LOVING it. I forgot how Zen running can be, how calming and relaxing it really is.

And I am shocked with how fit I actually am. When I first did the run a few years back, it was painful. I could barely run 10 minutes without feeling gross amounts of pain and total exhaustion. I was so out of shape. This time however in my first run in years I was able to bang out 30 minute no problem, at a good and steady pace without any pain or fatigue, just a good sweat and a solid heart rate.

This bodes well for my 2010 goal. The goal this time is to finish the run in less than 60 minutes. That will be 10 minutes faster than my previous time.

I am confident I can do it.

Wish me luck!

No comments: