Monday, January 4, 2010

Cooking up a Storm

Santa was SO very generous to me this year and I returned home from my Christmas vacation with 2 very exciting cook books:

My MIL gifted me with The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen and I started drooling just flipping the pages.

I am very intrigued by the recipes and one in particular caught my eye - the idea of making “cheese” from nuts. Yup, you heard me, cheese from nuts. This is a concept I have never heard of but its sounds DELSIH. There are two recipes in the book that I can’t wait to make; Cashew and Macadamia nut cheeses. I LOVE cashews and if there is a cheese that I can make from them I may just die and go to heaven.

It also provides a great, simple list of things to always keep in the pantry and what tools to have in the kitchen.

But what I really love about this book is its simplicity. The recipes are simple yet full of flavour and textures, the instructions are limited and not overly involved and the photos are mouth watering.

My Mother also bestowed the gift of reading/cooking on me with the vegan standard La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer.

Every time I am in Chapters I would stop and flip the pages of this book and now I have my very own to dog ear, spill on and create from.

Again, the book is written in a simple and direct way, with uncomplicated ingredients and instructions.

A minor downside is the lack of photos. I am a visual gal and like to see what my end result should look like. I suppose in a way this opens the book up to individual interpretation and creativity, something I enjoy.

The introduction is well written with lots of personal touches and inspiring & motivational sentiments. As we all know, this can be a hard lifestyle sometimes and Sarah addresses this in a positive way.

The Kitchen Wisdom section is also a gem. From basics like time management & cleaning, to the astonishing list of 45 things to do with salt, this chapter has already become a well referenced list of do’s and don’ts.

And the crafty DIY chapter at the end is fun and again, simple.

Over all, both are excellent resources, offering varying types of cuisine, points of view and techniques.

Thumbs UP all around.

Now back to the kitchen …



No comments: