Friday, October 30, 2009

Tempeh … Where Have You Been All My Life?


Why, why, WHY has no one ever told me how incredible tempeh is?

I am soooo excited that I have found this bad boy. It’s amazing. Like tofu it takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it and therefore is incredibly versatile.

Last night I started to play with it but today it all came together.

For lunch I decided to make a wrap. Again, I am all about ease and quickness and the wrap fits this mold. Plus there are no rules. Whatever you want to toss into the wrap you do.

I started by slicing my Yves 5 Grain Tempeh in to 5 thin pieces and coated it with the following EVOO mixture

2 tbsp EVOO
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp chilli power

Into a medium preheated pan it went for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.


I took the pan off the heat at that point and got to making up the wrap

1 large whole wheat tortilla
Red pepper hummus
Fresh spinach
Fresh bean sprouts
Fresh cherry tomatoes

Within no more than 8 minutes I had a crazy yummy and super filling lunch.

The red pepper flakes gave the tempeh some heat, while the cumin and chilli powder gave it a nice spice and all the fresh veggies gave the whole wrap and crunchy and refreshing feel.

This baby is gonna be on the lunch menu from now on.

No comments: