Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ahimsa

a Sanskrit term meaning to do no harm (literally: the avoidance of violence - himsa). It is an important tenet of the religions that originated in ancient India. Ahimsa is a rule of conduct that bars the killing or injuring of living beings. It is closely connected with the notion that all kinds of violence entail negative karmic consequences.


This idea keeps popping up as I read more and more about becoming vegan and it is resonating with me on a deep level, as I have always believed in karma and the idea of "what goes around, comes around".

This concept was the cornerstone of Ghandi's indian culture and if it was good for Ghandi, then its good for me.

And in keeping with this theme, today I FINALLY I finished reading In Defence of Food by Michael Pollan (which I started reading back in MARCH - yikes!) and tonight I started to read: Becoming Vegan: the complete guide to adopting a healthy plant-based diet By Brenda Davis, Vesanto Melina, and both have this common ideal running through them.

This analogous theme is giving me even more reassurance that my decision to become a non flesh eater is not only a healthy one, but also a cosmically responsible one (as flaky as that may sound).

Moving on from my empyrean ideals, tonight I took my first steps into to vegan eating, making myself a super tasty and surprisingly filling meal.

After the gym today I hit up the grocery store and stocked up some tofu (firm), tempeh (Yves 5 Grain), soy milk, and loads of veggies and headed home, not really sure what I was gonna do.

But I was starving and knew whatever it was it had to be fast & tasty.

I decided to make kabobs since they are easy and met the fast requirement. I recently had some over the Thanksgiving weekend at a friends place where they had used crimini mushrooms and I fell in love. I am not normally a mushroom fan but these little guy totally won me over.

So I chopped up a red and yellow pepper, a good chunk of red onion and cleaned off a few of my newly purchased crimini mushrooms, and got to skewing.

Then chopped up about 1/3 of the tempeh it into cubes, and seasoned it with some S&P, cumin and paprika.

After a drizzle of EVOO and a sprinkle of S&P, oregano and thyme, on the grill the kabobs went and into a fry pan with a little EVOO went the tempeh.

About 8 minutes later I had one of the most delish diners I have had in a long while. And MAN, I am stuffed.

It would appear that my first attempt at playing with soy based products was a total success!

I am stoked for more adventures in the kitchen and plan to take on a Spicy Lentil & Rice Loaf this weekend (as suggested by veganvirgin), as well as a batch of my Almost Famous Veggie Chili, perfect for this now very typical Vancouver fall - RAIN RAIN RAIN.

No comments: