Finally after ages of searching and many a kitchen disaster, I have managed to come up with a tasty and EASY vegan alfredo sauce. How do I know its tasty, well the hubby and kiddo both dive in when I make so that speaks volumes in my book.
I chose to use coconut milk for its thick, rich body and flavour, but I am sure that this would work just as well with any other milk alternative.
And to make it super yum, I like to add in a variety of garlic sauteed veggies to my pastas; this week it was asparagus, kale and grape tomatoes.
Garlicky Herbed Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, cook garlic in oil until golden brown
- Add flour slowly, whisking to remove any lumps while combining oil, garlic and flour
- Cook over low heat for a few minutes, whisking continuously (do not burn!)
- Add in entire tin of coconut milk, rosemary, oregano and salt & pepper, whisking to combine
- Bring to a boil adding a tsp of water at a time (if needed) to reach desired consistency - sauce should be thick and cover noodles well.
- Keep warm over low heat (and keep whisking to ensure no lumps!) until pasta is ready or transfer into resealable container and keep in fridge for future use.