Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tiny's BIG Salad


If can I squeeze in a Seinfeld clip, know that I always will.


I made this when I realized that I had a bunch of odds and ends in my pantry. I was inspired by all the fantastic salads that I grab from from Whole Foods now and then (they have a lentil one that is unreal).

With that in mind, I decided to toss together a salad that turned out quite well. It needed a bit of a kick so I added a few red pepper flakes at the end, and think that after it sleeps in the fridge overnight the favours will pull together.

This BIG Salad is very filling, chock-a-block full of fibre and protein and big on taste.

Enjoy!

TINYs BIG SALAD: Mixed Bean & Quinoa Salad

2 cups mixed dried beans (I used kidney black, pinto and black-eyed)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn nibblets
2 cups Quinoa
Water

Soak beans in cold water over night, rinse well

In crock pot add beans and enough water to cover them
Cook for 2 hours on low heat
Drain beans and set aside

Cook Quinoa according to directions and set aside

Steam peas and corn and set aside

Combine beans, peas, corn and tossing in dressing
Add Quinoa and incorporate into bean mixture
Add Sale & Pepper to taste

DRESSING

I make a bunch of this at once and keep the leftovers in a jar in the fridge. It settles after a while so make sure you give it a good shake.

½ cup olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp lemon pepper mix

Add ingredients together in glass jar and shake!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Yumm :) I am going to have to try this. It looks delicious!