Monday, November 28, 2011

The Cove

I watched The Cove last night.


I was not prepared for how it was going to effect me. I have seen far too many docs and films that focus on animal cruelty and exploitation, so I thought I knew what I was getting into. But I was wrong. Within the first 10 minutes I could hardly breath and was consumed by sadness and tears. I then moved to anger and disbelieve, followed up by utter dispare and an urge to get involved like never before. 


I have been a dolphin lover since I was a child and even had one inked in my arm for life when I was 18.  I have been to Sea World, zoos and aquariums around the globe and even worked at my local aquarium for a short while. I am now sick that I have ever done so. 


Knowing what I know now has changed me over night, exactly like my abrupt jump from omni to vegan did back in November 2009. Interesting that both these massive revelations have occurred in November? Hmmmm, is there something to that I wonder? 


Regardless, I am enraged, saddened and appalled by what I now know of the dolphin slaughter happening, as I type this, in Japan. It is disgusting, barbaric,  and there is no reason or rational that can come close to justifying why this must continue to happen. 


Human entertainment? Really, is this really worth it? Take you heads out of the sand for a moment and put your blissful ignorance aside and look at what the situation really is:


Cold Blooded Murder.


And while I am just one person living in my bubble far away from the horrors of Taiji I am determined to join the fight and help preserve this still misunderstood and clearly emotionally advanced species before it is too late, and all we have are picture books, and videos to remind us of what special and majestic creatures we once knew.


Do your part here - Get involved:


Read up on the issues and how you can help the Oceanic Preservation Society (OPS) in their fight
http://opsociety.org/what-you-can-do/after-seeing-the-cove


No comments: