Monday, June 29, 2009

Damn you Breakfast!

I have been neglectful in my blogging these last few months.

Reason being is that I had been focusing on my training for The Ride to Conquer Cancer, spending hours in the gym working it out and man, did it pay off!

I felt amazing as I pedaled my little legs off for over 160KM a day on the 2-day event and I now fully understand the full benefit and pay offs of hard work and correct training.

But now that is behind me and its time to get back to the regular routine of things.

SO HERE WE GO:

In my morning peruse of my regular interweb sites I came across a few items that I found interesting.

Lets start with BREAKFAST:

Breakfast and I have been waging a long standing war, going WAY back over the years. I know I have to eat breakfast and that (ya ya ya) it’s the MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY …

I just hate eating when I first get up. I have such a hard time with it that sometimes I even get this odd gag reflex that kicks in and I can’t manage o swallow anything. It’s super odd and has been happening to me for years.

I have tired many different things over the years to get around it like eating only yogurt or foods that I don’t have to chew, using smoothies to replace proper food and even just ditching breakfast all together, opting only for coffee to tide me over til I do actually get hungry a few hours later.

AND now its time for this to change.

I am rededicating myself to Breakfast, in hopes that we can make peace with one another, working together to keep my little self healthy and happy.

This is where I am going to start:

The Perfect Breakfast
Fill up on the right fuels in less than 5 minutes

Run through what you do in the morning: Makeup, perfect. Hair, styled and sprayed. Hot pencil skirt, zipped. With a long a.m. to-do list, it's natural that you're lucky to scarf down a bowl of cereal, let alone a healthy, hearty breakfast. But if you don't want your energy to slump, that bowl and spoon need company.

When you eat oatmeal and cereal, you're stocking up on carbs. Which is fantastic—but for a steady, crash-free gush of energy all day long, you need to halt the carbs' absorption into your blood. And for that you need protein and fat.

Your mission: Slip some meat, eggs, and dairy into your meal. The perfect breakfast has about 500 calories, about 20 grams of protein, and at least 5 grams of fiber—your number-one weight-loss weapon.

Want a grab-and-go meal? Blend some Powerfoods into a smoothie. Exercise in the morning? Find out how your meal fares in our fitness food face-off.

But if you can wake up 5 minutes earlier to sit down and eat, choose from more than 600 quick breakfast recipes that will start your day strong.

SOURCE: Woman’s Health Magazine

No comments: