Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mediterranean Chickpea Wrap

As my adventures in cooking continue, I have fallen deeply in love with the magical little chickpea.

These cute, little beige beans, also known as the garbanzo bean, Indian pea, ceci bean, Bengal gram are chock full of protein, fibre and taste. And they are crazy versatile to boot.

POP QUIZ: Did you know that they are one of the earliest cultivated vegetables. 7,500-year-old - Wowza!

I decided over the weekend to cracked open one of my fabulous Christmas -gift cookbooks, The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen and took a stab at the Mediterranean Chickpea Wrap. It was described as being “a great mash-up of strong ingredients” and it had banana peppers in it so that was all I needed to be sold.

My edits were were simple as I chose to omit the sun dried tomatoes (not on my fave list) and shredded the carrot and onion, but next time I will dice them instead of shred. I can see how it would have given the final mix a bit more texture.

However, it ended up being a delicious fiery dish that has worked well in wraps, pitas and mixed in with salad greens and spinach.

Yet another addition to the new list of standards.

MEDITERRANEAN CHICKPEA WRAP

2 tbsp safflower oil
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 small onion, peeled and diced
½ cup banana peppers, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp cayenne (or more to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper
1 can chickpeas, with liquid
1 cup water
2 cups white potato, diced

Over medium heat, sauté carrots, onion, peppers and garlic in oil for 5 – 7 minutes, stirring frequently

Add cumin, red pepper, cayenne and black pepper to taste and sauté another minute


Add chickpeas with liquid and water and bring to a boil.

Add potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.


Serve in wraps, pita or tossed in salad.

YUM!

No comments: